Self Introduction

 Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Zahid Bin Mohamad Noor Azrin, and I am writing to introduce myself to you as a Year 1 student in your Effective Communication class. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in Green Building & Sustainability. After graduating, I decided to pursue Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) in Singapore Institute of Technology as I developed an interest in how buildings contribute to global warming and I believe that as a future engineer, I will have the opportunity to make a difference in the world through a positive impact to the building industry.

The strength I observed myself having in communication is teamwork. I have worked with numerous teams during my internship at Johnson Controls where I had to assist the engineers with the on-site inspection and troubleshooting of chillers in buildings. This experience have shown me how to handle the on-site duties and explain to the client what is to be done in a simplified manner that can be easily understood. This honed my communication skills as I had to effectively communicate to help them understand the technical aspects of what was done. I also had to communicate with others which are of different levels, such as assistant engineers, team leaders and managers. This has helped me to be professional and to present my ideas with confidence in order to work together well with them. Hence, with my strength in teamwork, I desire to learn more in this module so I can improve myself to be an excellent team player through effective communication.

With regards to my weakness in communication, I have noticed that I am not a good listener. Listening is as important as talking or speaking. A good listener makes the other person feel appreciated by putting importance to his or her ideas. However, I tend to make people feel disrespected or ignored when I interrupt their ideas when they are speaking. This is because I tend to speak my thoughts out loud too fast. Therefore, I hope to change this through this module of Effective Communication with your guidance.

Through this module, I want to improve my public speaking skills so that I will be able to present my work and reach the audience with effective communication. I also want to improve my report writing and emails to others as I believe these are important ways of communication. I believe by utilising the soft skills learnt in this module will enable me to be interact with others better.

I have difficulties settling into new environments and making friends as I tend to be reserved. Through the skills that will be learned, I hope to be an easy going person. I look forward to the classes in this module.

Best Regards,

Zahid


*Edited according to Professor Brad's feedback on 04/12/2021

Comments

  1. Zahid's letter is easily understandable as he states his purpose at the very beginning. Subsequently, he is able to convey his message effectively by being open about his strengths and weaknesses. The paragraphing and structure of his letter is concrete and he is courteous in the tone and language used. It is clear that he has a clear vision of what he wants to achieve by the end of this module.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Zahid, for writing and posting this letter. Thank you for your openness in sharing. I found your letter to be interesting and captivating. You have done a great job to produce a nice logical flow in your writing. Your letter has displayed the 7 Cs of Communication. Your letter is clear in terms of the content as I am able to understand it easily. It is great that you provided evidence to support your stance. I have to agree that improving our writing skills is important for our communication skills as communication goes beyond just speaking. I am sure you are able to achieve all your goals stated in the letter with the assistance of Professor Blackstone and our tutorial group mates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Zahid,

    Thank you for this clearly focused, highly articulate letter. You’ve addressed the scope of the assignment in good detail and explained a lot about who you are. We readers learn that you already have some work experience -- though I'd like to know where your internship was and what your job scope was -- and how that experience has informed your communication strengths and needs. I'm happpy to see that you find a connection between your learning in the area of engineering and the opportuity you will have to have an impact on society.

    You also do a fine job in this letter of explaining the connection between your comm skills and prospective audiences. Clearly, the more you attune your skills and ability to communicate to the needs of others, the more you can accomplish, whether on a private and personal or professional level.

    In this letter, you also express yourself with fine language fluency, which makes reading it a pleasure. There is one minor issue with a word in this sentence: I have difficulties setting into new environments.... > It should be 'I have difficulties settling into new environments...."

    I look forward to learning more from you as the term progresses.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      I have updated the blog based on your feedback. Hopefully, it is better now.

      Regards,
      Zahid

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Readers Response (Post-Feeback)

TASK 3- SUMMARY OF QUOTATION